Thursday, July 13, 2006

Translations of Anakreon

Preface:
Anakreon was a poet of early Greek civilisation, who's writings were found often torn apart, or with gaping holes in them. I was given a worksheet, you could call it, with some found texts of Anakreon's love poem, and with several lines or phrases missing, which I was assigned to fill out. I took a somewhat different approach though, by making it an ode to lust and superficiality rather than to love. Just for the sake of being different I suppose!
The parts in bold are those already given to me, and those that aren't in bold are what I've added!

Translations of Anakreon
(Anakreon, sixth century B.C.)

A marriage of sorts
-Sucheta Nadig
July 11, 2006

Sleepless, insomniac, she lies beside me,
Snoring all [nig]ht long I turn to see,
Her open-mouthed dreams, she sighs
Both delight and disgust, a sick mélange,
I shudder my repulse, was I ever in love?
But loving and hating, such a fine line
Offerings at hand sacrifices for togetherness
Of the Pierides the Greek chapel seen,
The beginning of this shitty life
And Graces and prayers for inertia of love
And then the vows, I cringe at the memory
A remembrance of something sacred turned to sacrilege
The biggest mistake of my life thought she
Once was beaut[iful] or so I thought
Young and carefree my memory
Flitter we all the night in the once happy utopia
Fishing with bait along a moonlit shore
Golden-helmeted Pallas invoke those spiteful Gods
Ordinary from afar up close she is the epitome of disgust
Flowering fungus oozes through her pores
Her hair all fallen and white, uninviting repugnance
The slow passage of time, unyielding to lovers, to anyone.

Can myrrh rubbed on a chest
Sweeten the great round heart inside?
Can love injured by time heal again?
Is time an eternal wound open to the harsh universe?
A man revived past the pains of time, taken back afar in memory
Whose heart is green and young again
And dances to a lissome tune on the flute

That man, me, myself, trusting no more in the winds of time
My story of a man, loved pitiful war.
She danced into my bed, begging to serve me
Years ago, she danced a proposal, of slavery and service

The servant girl poured
Honeyed wine from the jug
On her shoulder
Seduction so sweet, lured this man

The horrid bedroom
In which he, unmarrying,
Was married
unwilling
This man, me myself
He sleeps soundly
With his bedroom door
Always unbolted
A hope so desperate that she might leave

His dreams fill with a wish so desolate
Glowing with desire
Gleaming with spiced oil
Enticing him to dissolve his vows into adultery
This man, me, myself

His dreams interrupted momentarily
A vision of the virtuous Guilt itself
Walking along with a haughty neck
His desire too strong, he pushes it away

Wine server, she fills his heart with yearning
A dawn of heightened senses punctuated by the
Chattering swallow.

His vision begins to tempt him once more
Pulling him to her body smothered in sweet honey
Wine server
So sweet to his lips

Beautiful
Her face so perfectly sculpted by the Gods
Pretty
Her body so perfectly molded by the Gods
An epitome of seduction

Her legs, long and slender,
Stalks of slim white celery
In a wicker basket

Drops of thick golden honey slide down
Leaving the celery oh so sweet…

The swift movement of his arms
His hands sticky with the touch of her skin
This man, me, myself
Her lips so soft as feathers soaked in wine

He marries in his dreams, I marry in my dreams
True marriage it seems
Again on a beach, an island
Vows bind us, we two in love,
We pray O ears that hear prayers,
Our very solemn
promise of togetherness
For that love may be the Lady in the stars
But lust triumphs like Eros stalking
On the balls of his feet,
through the sands of time untouched

The happy sinners are true who indulge
Of those I love are virtues superficial
Until my dream moves me on to more lustful marriage
Hail! Kyllanas witness this shallow yet eternal vow
Vast as the sea yet deeper no more than a mere pool

We kneel at Aphrodite’s altar
Smiling at fate’s twisted ways
Sacred mother bless us in our quest for lust
Of Kryptis, of promise, and of beauty unrivaled
Allow us revelation in our sinful delights
Excite me with this dream of a beautiful wife
Let us forever be combined in passion and obsession
Glossy are the eyes that dream such so
To let my wife be buried and I marry this dream of
Sweet glistening skin and chambers of satin
Hail the ardour of my lovely dream
Sight of a wine server’s body, following the curves of her hips
I hug your knees I kiss your lips
The taste of sugary wine meets my lips
Young is this dream that I take solace in
You, boy, what an elusive sprite, my reverie,
Come to me! Save me from my reality
Look I wake, no! Let it not be
For I am trapped for eternity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home